Share, inspire, encourage, support, challenge & grow

.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Some Quotes from My Mom

"Our house growing up was a two-bedroom stucco, and I slept on a couch in my parents' room the entire time we lived there. I still like the feel of the back of the couch against my back, and instead of rolling over and facing the couch, I switched ends lengthwise so my back still remained against the couch." 
---Mom sharing with me about her growing up years.

*  *  *


"Two other girls were chasing your Daddy when I was chasing him. I just outran them."
---Mom worked at the confectionary in downtown Three Rivers, and two other of her friends worked downtown and they all had a crush on Jimmy Casey, who worked at House Hardware down the street. Momma was the one who caught him.

*  *  *


"The time we lived on the farm was the hardest time of my life, but on Friday nights, we would go to the drive-in movie. I'd work so hard to get everything ready-- three children bathed and put in their pajamas, Kool-aid and hotdogs made for supper, and then we'd head to the movie. Looking forward to that each week was what saved me during those years."
---Mom sharing about the early years of my parents' marriage when she had three little ones in diapers, a wringer washer on the porch and a never-ending clothesline.

*  *  *

"Fort Stockton was one of the ugliest towns we lived in, but it had beautiful people."
---It's been almost fifty years since they lived in Ft. Stockton, but Mom and Dad still keep up with friends they made there. 

*  *  *

"You'd be a lot happier if you didn't think so much." 
---She told me that years ago when I was probably over-thinking, over-analyzing something like I often did.

*  *  *

"They installed a Sears die-hard battery in me."
---Mom's comment on her pace-maker operation in 2000.

*  *  *

"A loving family, a beautiful home, and getting to watch the Spurs... it doesn't get any better than this."
---Mom told me in November 2010

*  *  *

"My silk pajama top is long enough to wear by itself, so if I really want to be sexy...
     I wear the bottoms, too."
-- Mom told us when she was in her sixties or seventies

*  *  *

Caught, rather than taught from my parents:

  • Love your family
  • Laugh often
  • Live within your means
  • Live honestly and with compassion
  • Love and serve the Lord and others
*  *  *



No comments:

Post a Comment