Share, inspire, encourage, support, challenge & grow

.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Family Friendly?

It chaps my hide every time I see ABC's disclaimer tacked onto the beginning of the 700 Club saying, "The following CBN telecast does not reflect the views of ABC Family." 

Why do they feel so threatened about a show that does more good around the world than any other similar faith-based news show? Operation Blessing, Orphan's Promise, schools started around the world, surgery and health services made available to areas that have little or none, water wells for clean water, micro-businesses started, and so much more are some of the outstanding ministries they support. 

I don't agree with some of the things I've heard on the 700 Club, but that doesn't mean I discount everything about it and go to great lengths to disassociate with it. Overall, I know what the 700 Club represents, and that disclaimer makes me question the sense of the people running ABC Family. 

 As a believer in Christ, I am also thankful that the 700 Club provides news from a Christian world view. They often cover stories that the mainstream media doesn't. They also provide good segments on health and nutrition. I went through eighteen months of health problems and many visits to a gastroenterologist who did every test in the book and wanted to start all of them over when he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. The 700 Club was one of the first shows to warn of the dangers of aspartame poisoning, and I  recognized that I had some of the same symptoms they listed. I immediately quit drinking diet colas and those symptoms - some of them debilitating - disappeared within two weeks.  

The 700 Club also interviews authors, athletes, actors, pastors, musicians, and others whose lives have been impacted by their relationship to Christ. They were one of the first shows, if not the first, to re-create real-life experiences of people using actors or the actual people involved to tell the story, which other shows regularly do now. 

ABC Family's new logo says, A New Kind of Family, and I just about choked when I heard an announcer say ABC Family was so proud to present Pretty Woman as one of the movies they showed. I noticed they scheduled another new kind of family-friendly movie recently - Burlesque. If those two movies are their idea of good family entertainment, they've gone off the deep end. 

It's hard to find good family entertainment on TV these days. But we think one of the best family-friendly shows on TV today is Disney's Good Luck, Charlie. It's one of the few children's shows with an intact, functioning family. The parents are very much involved each week, which I think encourages all ages to tune in. Four generations in my family watch and love that show. 

ABC Family is also owned by Disney, and is contractually obligated to show the 700 Club, but the poor souls don't realize that's one of the best shows on that channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment